It has been fantastic to see some of our U8s and U10s their first taste of competitive games this season, and see our Bowdon Bears (year 4-6) squads play in tournaments in Crewe and in the GMJHL. Our two Badgers teams (year 8/9) and two Beavers teams (year 7/8) and new Year 7 Development team have also demonstrated great progress in their external league fixtures across the region. In addition, we have over 150 players aged 13-18 competing for places in senior teams showing great potential and attitude as they find their way in the senior teams.
Some of our U14, U16 and U18 England Hockey Cup squads have just started their fixtures this weekend. Well done to:
– U18 T1 Girls 5-0 win vs Alderley Edge
– U16 T1 Boys 4-0 win vs Beeston
– U16 T1 Girls 1-1 draw with Alderley Edge
– U16 T2 Girls 0-4 loss vs Alderley Edge (practice match)
– U14 T2 Year 8 Girls 4-1 win vs Stafford (practice match)
With squads selected on ability, attitude and commitment, the approach of all players will be very important as we come back from lockdown. We’re looking forward to our next fixtures as and when they can be scheduled.
Most importantly, we’d like to sincerely thank everyone for playing their part in getting our players back on the pitch:
• To our players for showing such commitment and flexibility on the pitch as we have worked out appropriate squad allocations while dealing with isolations, uncertainty and (very positively) large numbers keen to play
• To our parents for responding quickly to availability requests, setting up Club Buzz and payment details, transporting your players to training and matches and being so understanding about reading and acting on our requests to adhere to COVID guidance
• To our volunteers (yes – also parents) for the magnificent effort supporting with all our COVID guidance, team administration, setting up matches, arranging logistics, kit, coaches, umpires etc etc. Without you, we would not be on the pitch!
• To our senior team players and coaches who have done a monumental job of setting up and leading various training sessions throughout the summer and into the season, reflecting the ever-changing England Hockey guidance. Without doubt this has fed enthusiasm and inspiration across our Juniors.
We have been recognised as a leading club in the North West for re-starting hockey from lockdown, which has led to us starting this season with higher numbers than ever. This has been to the extent that, for the first time, we have had to introduce waiting lists for some age groups.
SO – WHAT IS NEXT?
Sadly, England Hockey have tonight announced that hockey will not be feasible during lockdown, so we will not be able to play from this Thursday until at least 4 December, although training on Monday – Wednesday this week will continue as normal
The Hockey Committee will meet in coming days to consider our options; we are also in constant liaison with England Hockey, the local leagues and other local clubs to plan how we will return to play when we can. We truly hope we can get our Juniors back on the pitch as soon as possible as we recognise the importance for mental health, as well as physical health.
Meanwhile, do follow us on Instagram for inspiration on for skills practices from our first team players and coaches to try at home to keep developing skills: https://www.instagram.com/bowdonhc/
We will update as soon as we can. Thanks again for your support and we hope that you and all your families stay well.